PRIVATE & SMALL GROUP TOURS TO THE WORLD'S BEST DESTINATIONS
Join Us For A Safari In Tanzania
Finding the Best African Safari Trip Packages In Tanzania
Going on a wildlife safari in Africa is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Tanzania is one of Africa’s classic safari destinations. From the wild natural landscapes to the magnificent animals that roam across windswept plains, Tanzania is the destination of choice for travelers seeking an unforgettable adventure! Some of the most popular safari tour packages in Tanzania follow the Great Wildebeest Migration across the country as herds of wildebeest, zebra, and gazelle make their annual epic journey.
What Is The Great Migration?
Every year, millions of wildebeest and other animals that inhabit the plains of the Serengeti embark on a journey that follows Africa’s rainy season in search of grasslands for grazing. More than two million animals, including wildebeest, zebra, and gazelle, follow the rains on a dangerous 2,000-mile journey across the plains of the Serengeti and into Kenya, before returning home to Tanzania. Along the way, they are constantly under attack from predators such as lions, leopards, cheetahs, and the massive crocodiles that inhabit the rivers they must cross to reach their destination. This yearly spectacle attracts thousands of visitors to Tanzania each year, and is why tour operators offer special Great Migration safari packages!
Top 3 Tips To Guarantee A Great Safari
If you have decided that a wildlife safari in Africa is on your bucket list, we have three simple tips to help you get the most out of your trip! These tips are especially useful if you are interested in reserving a safari that follows the path of the annual Great Migration.
- Book early! Make your safari reservations at least a year in advance. Safari lodges and camps fill up quickly, especially for safari tour packages offered from June – October. Remember, these five months are the peak of the safari season, so you will want to make sure you reserve early enough to find open accommodations.
- Consider the timing of your trip carefully. Although the Great Migration is a year-round journey, the timing of your trip should be calculated to ensure that you will be able to see the things you want to see.
- Opt for a tour guide! It can be very difficult to navigate your way around Tanzania, so booking a wildlife safari in Africa with a reputable tour guide ensures that you have access to the national parks as well as someone to take charge of the driving and other logistics so you can enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Where Can You Go To See The Great Migration?
Once the wildebeest and other animals leave the Serengeti and begin their clockwise journey through the country, they head for Ngorongoro Crater to calve. This is one of the best places for guaranteed wildlife sightings and one of the most popular parts of the Great Migration safari packages offered by many tour companies. Located in Northern Tanzania, not far from the Serengeti National Park, the Ngorongoro Crater is the largest intact volcanic caldera in the world. More than 25,000 large animals live within the crater year-round, and this population expands exponentially during the Great Migration!
Between the months of February and March, more than 8,000 wildebeest calves are born each day in Ngorongoro Crater. It’s no accident that the herds head to Ngorongoro Crater to feast on the lush grasses and give birth. It turns out that the grasses in this area of Tanzania have evolved to nourish the young wildebeest during their first few weeks of life. The grass is packed with nutrients from the volcanic ash that was blown over the plains during eruptions thousands of years ago, which helped to fertilize and nourish the soil. This location is the perfect place for the migrating herd to hunker down for the first few weeks of the calves’ lives until the young animals are ready to continue the journey with their elders.
The Best Time To Visit The Ngorongoro Crater
Ngorongoro Crater is a popular destination for Great Migration safari packages, but it is also worth visiting simply for the resident wildlife and spectacular landscapes! Here is a short explanation of when you should visit the crater, either to follow the Great Migration or on a wildlife safari in Africa.
- June – October is considered the best time to visit Ngorongoro Crater. These months fall during the dry season, so the grass is shorter and wildlife is easier to spot. The predictable weather is also a plus for safaris. And, the dry weather means fewer mosquitos – which translates to a lower risk of malaria for safari-goers during this time of year. However, this is peak safari season, and that means the crowds will be large and quite overwhelming!
- November – May is the rainy season in East Africa. The grass is longer during the wet season, which makes it more difficult to spot wildlife. It is also necessary to take greater precautions to protect yourself against malaria if you visit during the rainy season. One of the perks of this season, however, is that the scenery is spectacular! The rain transforms the crater into a lush, green landscape and the migratory birds flock to Ngorongoro for the season. Higher water levels at nearby Lake Magadi draw flamingos to the area, creating a unique opportunity for birdwatchers to see the amazing creatures. Of course, fewer crowds make visiting during this season quite attractive, too!
Where Else Can I Visit On My Safari?
Great Migration safari packages that are based at Ngorongoro Crater have the opportunity to visit neighboring locations to extend the safari. Three of the most popular nearby options for visitors who want even more adventure include Arusha National Park, where you can go canoeing, sign up for a walking safari, or climb Mount Meru; Lake Manyara, where you can observe pink flamingos, blue monkeys, and olive baboons in their natural habitat; or Tarangire National Park, where night safaris are offered for the adventurous and quiet birdwatching sessions can be scheduled during the day. But no matter which of the many safari tour packages you choose to take advantage of, there is something for everyone. So, pack your bags and get ready to see one of the most amazing natural shows on Earth – in Africa!