Where Is The Best Place To Go On Safari In Africa?
Africa is the continent of adventure and safaris. But with so many spectacular game reserves to choose from, crafting a once-in-a-lifetime African safari package is no easy task. Fortunately, it is possible to pinpoint the best places to see wildlife in Africa – and they are all in Tanzania!
Tanzania is home to the Serengeti National Park, a pristine landscape of vast savannah plains through which great, roving herds of animals move in search of grazing land – or, in the case of predators, an unsuspecting victim. Safari goers can create an incredible Tanzania trip package around this single destination because the Serengeti is home to less-visited (and less crowded) areas and sits in close proximity to other popular tourist attractions.
Five Reasons To Visit The Serengeti
The Maasai people named the Serengeti plains. They called this region “Sirenget,” which means “endless plains. The plains are flat, with only a few acacia trees throughout, allowing visitors to easily watch wildlife, even from a distance. Below is a list of the top five reasons why the Serengeti is the best place to see wildlife in Africa.
- The Serengeti is the setting for the Great Migration. This annual event sees a great herd of wildebeest, zebra, and antelope (and the predators that follow them) moving from the southern Serengeti west and northwards toward Kenya’s Masai Mara Park before returning to the southern plains of the Serengeti in an endless cycle. A safari tour company can help you pinpoint the location of the migration to guarantee a wildlife sighting.
- Tanzania, particularly the Serengeti, is one of the greatest places on earth to watch lions. More than 3000 lions are thought to live in the Serengeti’s ecosystem. Lions are everywhere in the Serengeti – and can be found getting ready for the hunt at dark or dawn, dining on their prey, playing with their siblings, and, most importantly, sleeping in the shade of an acacia tree or on top of one of the kopjes.
- No Tanzania trip package is complete without a visit to the Kopjes! These unique rock formations can be found scattered around the Serengeti. They are formed by exposed granite that is shaped by fluctuations in wind and temperatures. Kopjes are particularly popular with lions and other big cats as they offer sun-warmed rocks to sunbathe on and trees and bushes for shade. And because they are elevated above the plains, they provide a great vantage point to spot dangers and prey.
- The Serengeti is one of the oldest ecosystems in the world, featuring a unique combination of flora and fauna that has remained relatively unchanged for more than a million years. This means that any study of the modern-day Serengeti offers scientists a unique perspective into the past!
- The native wildlife of the Serengeti is well-protected. The animals within this ancient ecosystem are valuable, so the Tanzania government has gone to great lengths to protect it! Tanzania’s many animals are recognized as an important part of the economy and sustainable tourism is encouraged throughout the country and its many parks and preserves.
When Is The Best Time To Visit The Serengeti?
The best time to visit the Serengeti is from January to February, during the “short” dry season or from June to October, during the “long” dry season. However, a safari in the Serengeti offers spectacular wildlife viewing opportunities, no matter what time of the year you visit. The park’s open plains and mild climate mean that vegetation is never too dense to see animals, and the region’s two short rainy seasons from November to December and March to April do not negatively impact tourism at all!
Finding A Safari Tour Company For Your Serengeti Adventure
Many people are used to putting together a trip itinerary by themselves and handling the logistics of a vacation without a tour company. However, that is not advisable (or even allowed) for a safari! When you are thinking about where you want to go on safari, you will also need to be researching the best safari tour companies to show you around Tanzania!
If you are looking for a tour company that specializes in Serengeti adventures, look no further than Gondwana Ecotours. Gondwana is a leader in sustainable ecotourism and offers a 10-day tour across the Serengeti that follows the Great Migration. This one-of-a-kind tour includes:
- Private game drives in a pop-top Land Cruiser through Arusha National Park, Tarangire National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, and Serengeti National Park.
- A local guide and driver for all game drives and tours.
- A visit to a Maasai Village. Experience Tanzania’s native people and enjoy a cultural exchange within their community off the beaten path!
- Guided hikes with an experienced and professional local guide, within the parks that allow walking safaris.
- A unique elephant safari, where you can observe the largest concentration of elephants in the world, in one place!
This Tanzania trip package includes all food and lodging, as well as national park fees and additional excursion fees. Enjoy a truly unique experience with Gondwana Ecotours as you explore the magic of the Serengeti and learn more about its native people. You may even want to extend the tour, with optional add-on trips, to keep this once-in-a-lifetime experience going.
A Safari To Remember
From wildlife sightings to the exploration of ancient ecosystems, Tanzania offers visitors a safari experience to remember. Not only is Tanzania’s Serengeti the best place to see wildlife in Africa, but it’s a phenomenal place to learn more about history and other cultures. So, what are you waiting for? Your Tanzania safari is calling!